Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fall Festival

So Last night was the XA fall festival. It was pretty exciting. There was a costume contest (the winners were dressed as King David and Bathsheba), bobbing for apples, a pumpkin pie eating contest, pumpkin carving contest, and roughly 8-10 crock pots, 1 giant pan, 2 pots, and a cooler full of tortilla soup. I know because I hand washed the dishes for the entire duration of the party. 

Oddly enough I hadn't planned on going at all. I got off work and Kelli and I rode down to the XA house because we heard there was free food there and on my budget free food is a good excuse to go anywhere! Somehow or another I ended up behind the counter, although I'm pretty sure it was of my own volition. 

So as dishes began piling in the sink I thought I would start washing them...and then I kept washing them, cleaned some tables, picked up trash, etc. And with the help of some others had everything cleaned and put away by the end of the party. YAY! I'm not saying this to boast of my own servitude, but there is a point to this.

As Christians we have a perfect example of humility, of service, of love for others in Christ Jesus. I had a lot of fun cleaning those dishes and laughing with all those behind that counter serving alongside me. It made me realize just how much joy can be had through service alone. We tend to groan at the thought of helping out, of going out of our own way, our comforts to serve those who need it, but how often do we allow ourselves to be joyful in our serving? It isn't always easy, and sometimes it is extremely taxing, but most of the time our poor attitudes are what keep it from being enjoyable. Colossians 3:23-24 says, "And whatever you do, do it heartily, as to the Lord and not to men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance; for you serve the Lord Christ." 

No comments: